Dia de los Muertos? What is that?

Cheyenne Hubbard

Halloween isn’t the only major October holiday, Dia de los Muertos is celebrated by Mexicans for the whole month of October. It’s a holiday centered on the dead and also a holiday Spanish teachers have thought about teaching their students.

“Dia de los Muertos is a happy celebration of the dead. Families go to gravesites and have a party and honor their dead,” said Special Educator Senor Wade. “Culture competency is an important part of life. To respect other cultures we need to understand them”.

Students believe this holiday should be taught due to the lack of knowledge some students have about other country’s holidays.

“No, these holidays are not the same. Halloween is honoring spooky things and Dia de los Muertos is honoring the dead family members,” said Megan Anderson (’18). “Yes I do believe this holiday should be taught during Halloween because students should know about all the different types of holidays not just the main ones”.

This reporter decided to talk to a student who doesn’t know about Dia de los Muertos to see what they had to say.

“I do not know what it is but I believe it is a day where Hispanic families come together;” said Keyshon Williams (’17). “Yes, I would like to learn about this because I didn’t even know what it was and it’s kind of bad not to know since I have Spanish friends”.