Jewish Holidays

Cheyenne Hubbarrd, Culture

On October 3rd, Overlea students were off to observe the Jewish Holidays “Rosh Hashanah” and on October 12th for “Yom Kippur”. Some teachers take time to teach students about the holidays since most students do not observe the Jewish holidays.

“A lot of times I like to do lessons around Passover, Hanukkah, or holidays that they have heard of but are like ‘I don’t really know what this is’,” said special educator Ms. Mintzes. “I mean it’s better than not having off at all and me having to take off, but I mean I do like to let them know what the holidays are about—at least the kids that I teach.”

All students feel different about holidays in general due to their religion and what they practice.

“Well to be honest with you I do not know what Rosh Hashanah means,” said Joshua Golphin (’18). “Jewish holidays should be discussed briefly as a topic because not everybody is Jewish and not everybody cares about it.”

This reporter was unable to find any student at Overlea who personally observes the Jewish holidays for comment.  Special educator Mr. Braitman, who is Jewish, sees a lot of similarities between Christian and Jewish holidays.

“I know a lot about Jewish holidays being Jewish, we celebrated all the major holidays by going to services and usually having dinner at my parents’ house,” said Mr. Braitman. “So one of the biggest differences is that the Jewish holidays start at night, so in Judaism we run off a ‘lunar calendar’, which means it’s from when the moon comes up till the moon goes down. As with Christmas it starts the morning of. We base our holidays on Judaic religious calendar as opposed to the secular calendar that we use for Christmas and everything like that.”

Students who wish to learn about Jewish holidays should talk to a teacher. The next Jewish holiday “Shmini Atzeret” is on Monday October 24th, 2016 – students do not have off this day.