Coach Phil: “I’m Not Done”

Jalen Chapman, Sports Reporter

“Those who work hard will be rewarded and those who are rewarded will be successful.”

Overlea coaches are known for their perseverance and dedication to their program and to the students on and off the football field. They teach young men the values in life and what comes with being a man–especially a black young male in today’s society.

This is the life of Coach Phil Williams.

Everyone has to overcome adversities, and this man has been through things that some couldn’t imagine.  “I grew up in a drug infested household, I lost my father at the age of three and seeing my mother on drugs daily at an young age,” says Coach Phil. This made him stronger, made him view life differently; this gives a person a drive to just want better do for everyone around them.

When he was younger he had dreams and aspirations: “My dreams as a young child was to play football in the league or become an air traffic control or psychologist,” remembers Coach Phil.  “I will admit, there were a lot of opportunities that I didn’t even look at, but I did not take advantage of everything in high school.”

Coach Phil had the chance to play high school football at Dundalk High.  He played offensive line and defensive line.

Usually everyone has someone they model or look up to but Coach Phil had a different approach on this, “ I want to be the role model , I want to be the person that everyone model’s their life after, the person that can guide others to be the best person.”

Every older person has a memory or a special time in their life where they wish they could go back in time and relive that moment.  “I wish I could go back to 9th grade year and just take it more serious, especially my grades,” admits  Coach Phil.

All coaches dream to coach at higher and higher levels. “ I would absolutely want to coach at the next level,” responds Coach Phil, “because that puts me a step closer to the generation of adulthood.”

From this reporter’s own personal experience, this man gives the best advice on any topic you want to know or need.  It’s not even letting you know things but teaching you things.  “I teach my kids respect, honor, love, character, patience, and most importantly to my athletes: humbleness,” says Coach Phil.

His relationships with students doesn’t go unnoticed–especially the support his has from his colleague Coach Craig Rollins.  “If I could describe Coach [Phil] in three words it would be: spiritual, kind, and mindful,” offers Coach Rollins.

At just 40-years old,  Coach Phil has miles to go before he sleeps.  “I am not done yet,” states Coach Phil.  “I do feel successful.  For the rest of my life I plan on coaching for about 15 more years then I want to start on my motivational speaking and actually advocate for others.”

Coach Phil helps everyone in a certain way.  “Coach Phil helps me mentally and physically,” says Coach Rollins.  “He is my support system.  When the team loses or wins, he helps me make decisions with the kids.”

“I would like to give all young people as a whole advice,” Coach Phil remarks, “I want them to learn how to value life and respect each other, and love each other, and don’t think being kind is a weakness.”

s