Sports Injuries

Meelah Green, Cheif-In-Editor

Sports injuries are injuries that happen when playing sports or exercising. The most common sports injuries at the high school level include bruises, scrapes and cuts, sprained ankles, and strained muscles and ligaments. It’s important that Overlea athletes take the necessary precautions when suffering from a sports injury in order to prevent additional injuries and other long-term effects.
“I fell on my Knee multiple times, which is a volleyball thing,” said Maedot Kibret (’18). “I just had to ice it every night. I had to wrap my knee every day. Go to the doctors’ right when it happens. Don’t wait because that’s what I did. Now I have fluid in my knee.”
Delmonte Ward (’17) knows a thing or two about sports injuries. He has dislocated his shoulder multiple times when playing football. Delmonte Ward doesn’t enjoy being injured. In fact no one does. What upsets him the most about being injured is not being able to finish the season off with his teammates.
“I had dislocated my shoulder last season and this season from football,” said Ward. “It hasn’t really pushed me away from sports. The first time I dislocated my shoulder I had thought I broke my arm. The second time I dislocated my shoulder, I needed to go the hospital. I was really frustrated with myself and how I wasn’t able to really help my team anymore.”
Ms. Dewald, also known as the school nurse, has seen student athletes suffer from the most common sports injuries. She recommends that student athletes eat healthy, make regular check-ups with their doctor, stay hydrated, and most importantly stretch before any rigorous activity. Ms. Dewald believes that when a student athlete receive a sports injury, the athlete should immediately report their injury to a coach or parent. Lastly, Ms. Dewald explains that most injuries can be treated with rest and by icing the injured area.
“See your doctor regularly and follow any recommendations you are given,” said Ms. Dewald. “If you are on a sports team, it is not the time to cut out a food group, eat extremely low fat content or live off chips. “ Try to have water be in the mix especially on game or practice day. Make sure to stretch and follow regimes your coach and/or doctor recommends. The first 24 hours are so crucial in the treatment of an injury. Ice 15 minutes on and 15 minutes off.”
Whether a sports injury is minor or major, student athletes should continue to take the necessary safety measures when participating in any sports activity.